Wednesday 21 March 2007

Writing

I have been killing myself writing two conference submissions recently. By the end of such a process, I started thinking that my writing style was quite good.

Then at the weekend I chatted with my brother about writing. When pushed, both of us nominated Harold Pinter's Nobel Lecture as the best thing we have heard in the past few years. I took a look at it yesterday. You should too:

http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/literature/laureates/2005/pinter-lecture-e.html

After re-reading it I realize that I can't write at all. If you ever thought "the pen is mightier than the sword" was something your mother told you to help you get over being bullied at school, you need to read this! Not only is it thrilling reading - from a technical point of view - it simply annihilates Bush and Blair with clinical precision.

No comments: