Wednesday 5 December 2007

MSR/C#/Functional Programming

I gave a lecture yesterday at the University of Warwick as part of one of the Department of Computer Science's undergraduate courses.

I spoke about two things: Firstly, the way Microsoft Research operates within Microsoft. People are always surprised about how we operate - we're not told what to do by the product groups. What's interesting is to look at other research labs to see how they operate. There's a surprising amount of variation. I was very happy to point the students to Roy Levin's recent paper.

The second thing I spoke about was (surprise, surprise) C# 3.0. More specifically I wanted to emphasize the very strong influence of functional programming on the new features that appear in C# 3.0. [Particularly pertinent as it appears that Warwick was dropped functional programming from its degree course - which is a real shame.] I also wanted to show how formal techniques can and are used in commercial language design.

Overall it was great fun. I'm always impressed by the quality of students at Warwick.

No comments: