Thursday 7 January 2010

Porridge

The family breakfast is the one meal I worry about (although only a little). We're always very tight on time, especially as Mateja and I need espresso coffee to wake us up. The girls are keen on cereal, but I recently watched a documentary on breakfast cereals which revealed that they are pumped full of salt, sugar, and generally don't have the health benefits that some advertise.

The breakfast du jour is porridge. Everyone's talking about it - I noticed last night that even M&S carry porridge pots, where you just add boiling water... Unfortunately the girls are not that keen on it. I have been wondering whether I've been making it correctly, so I was interested to read this in today's paper. [Even though it's one of Satnam's favourite, I may well skip the nip of whisky!]

3 comments:

Lemm said...

http://runningdutch.blogspot.com/2009/10/iron-in-kelloggs-special-k.html

In some they actually took the "contains extra iron" a bit too literally...

Unknown said...

I grew up on oatmeal porridge. I can recommend that it is delicious if you boil it with chopped up apples and/ or raisins with spices (cinnimon, nutmeg, cloves). No 'added' suger, other that what you're getting in the fruit. And it become really delicious!

Gavin Bierman said...

Thanks Vanessa. Did you use milk or water?